DIY SOS family plan to ditch UK for USA after BBC show 'wrecks' family home with 'dangerous' overhaul

Started by Bossman, Aug 10, 2023, 04:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bossman

A DIY SOS family have slammed the BBC show

BBC
Alex Davies
Published: 10/08/2023

A family that appeared on the BBC show has claimed they've been "robbed" of the past three years following the renovation

The Chapmans took part in Nick Knowles' DIY SOS back in February 2020 as a team got to work renovating their home in Charlton Kings, Cheltenham.

The family comprises of Peter Chapman, his ill wife Sarah, daughter Suzanne and autistic brother Steve and they all reside in a bungalow.

However, dad Chapman, who is a full-time carer for his family, has now spoken out about his desire to leave their home after claiming the BBC show left them with botched renovations.

He's claimed to have been in a dispute with the corporation for the past three-and-a-half years after allegedly discovering leaking roofs and cracked decking among other issues.

The alleged mistakes have reportedly made it unsafe for his wife, who uses a wheelchair, to navigate their home.

Chapman has now claimed he and his family will pursue a move to the United States where his son lives.

McFly star Danny Jones in hospital dash as son, 5, suffers health scare on holiday
Making the claims against the show, Chapman said: "DIY SOS has robbed me of the last three years and the stress is killing me.

"My wife Sarah and daughter Suzanne have not been able to use the outdoor facilities that were built by DIY SOS because it is now in a dangerous condition, which they were made aware of and they acknowledged over two years ago but nothing was done.

"On the first day after taking possession of the house from DIY SOS, Sarah nearly fell in the bathroom, which could have been fatal, when the wall bars around the toilet came away from the wall while she was using them.

"Also, part of the floor collapsed in the hallway, while I was walking on it, which again could have been fatal for my wife or my daughter."

Chapman added to the Daily Mail: "We're so fed up with it that we will eventually be moving. It's a difficult decision but I feel so wronged at what they did to me.

"They just put their foot down on me and said 'no'. I just don't feel comfortable here anymore."

The BBC has addressed Chapman's claims, saying in a statement to the publication: "DIY SOS is a heart-warming programme that brings communities together and helps improve the lives of those in need thanks to the hundreds of volunteers who give up their time to participate.

"As with all of our previous projects, the Charlton Kings build was planned and completed in accordance with the necessary required regulatory approvals and signed off onsite by building control."

Read the original article, here